Stainless steel, white painted enamel surface
240 x 162 x 245 cm
ARTIST : Jaume Plensa
– Born in 1955 in Barcelona, Spain.
– This series of sculptures were inspired by a young girl from the Dominican Republic who
moved with her mother to Spain when she was nine.
– Evoking a sense of serenity, the white sculpture is a representation of the nine-year-old girl with her eyes closed. The sculpture signifies the artist’s belief that one should keep beauty within to inspire inwards reflection.
– A highly acclaimed contemporary sculptor, Plensa has won numerous international and national awards for his work including the prestigious Medaille de Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres, awarded by the French Ministry of Culture in 1993, and the Government of Catalonia’s National Prize for Fine Art in 1997.
– In 2005, he was invested Doctor Honoris Causa by the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. In Spain, he received the National Prize for Fine Art in 2012 and the prestigious Velázquez Prize for the Arts in 2013.